Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer is Coming!!!






We are so ready for summer to be here! We took Jay to the beach a few weekends ago and had a really great day. He was a little apprehensive at first, but after holding his hand for a few minutes, we couldn't keep him away from the water. He didn't even want to stop and have lunch or play in the sand - - only the water would do!

It's been so long since I've posted anything new, I wanted to include some of his "new" tricks. . .

He's become such a boy. Trucks and tractors, animals, fishing with his toy pole, and playing outside and getting hot and sweaty are some of his favorite things. I'm convinced boys just come wired this way - - they must!

He loves dogs these days. Anytime he sees a dog, whether it is a picture in a book, looking out the window into the backyard, or even when we pass one in the car, he says "oof, oof" and points until he knows we have seen the dog, too.

He's getting so tall that nothing seems safe anymore! He can reach way up onto the counters, dressers, tables and get to just about anything he wants. He's taken up an interest in climbing, too. I'm still not sure how he got a book off of the middle of the kitchen table today. When he's ready for a clean diaper, he doesn't hesitate to start to climb up the changing table. He's even made it to the top of a stepladder. I've been setting it up next to me while I fold laundry, and it makes great entertainment that keeps him in one spot.

Jay much prefers a real cup or bottle of water to "baby" cups. A sippy cup is ok, but a big-boy cup is even better. He makes this little giggling sound and is so proud when he drinks from the real cup. It doesn't matter to him that half of the water lands on his shirt or on the floor.

He's still saying just a few words. He's not the quickest talker - there's still nothing wrong as far as he's concerned with pointing and grunting. We hear that's normal for boys. In the meantime, we keep encouraging him to try. "Oof, oof," for a dog of course, but we also hear "all done" when he finishes eating. He pointed to a baby in a restaurant tonight and said "baby," and then pointed to the baby's mom and said, "mama." I was excited to see him understand that relationship - - it showed higher-level thinking, I thought. Sam thinks I was being silly.

We get LOTS of hugs and even a few kisses these days. He much prefers to blow a kiss across the room than to lay one right on you, though. Hmmm, could that be from me?

And, this wouldn't be complete without mentioning da-da. We passed a truck like Sam's on the road the other day and he looked at it, pointed, and said "da-da!" Almost! That is one little boy that loves his da-da.

No comments: