Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Toddler (Teenager)

We followed up at the pediatrician's office this afternoon for Jay's ear infection. His ears looked great, which is wonderful, but that's not really what this blog is about. . . it's really more about me today.
I flew out of work this afternoon so that I could pick him up and get to the doctor by 4:00. There wasn't much time for me to tend to any personal needs, such as relieving my own bladder, and since I don't wear a diaper like the little man, that just had to be put on hold. We make it in just a few minutes after 4, and I seize the moment to use the restroom because I know we'll be sitting in that waiting room for awhile. (Sorry for the personal nature of this entry if it is too much information for you!) Jay, however, has other plans. The handle on this public restroom (attached to the waiting room) is the kind of handle he can open all by himself. So, in the midst of my moment, I launch myself across the restroom to keep from being exposed to all as Jay opens the door. Ok, this is a real mommy test, I'm thinking. How do I pull my pants up, wash my hands, and keep Jay from opening the door and running out all at the same time. I think it must have been one of those little gifts like the eyes in the back of your head or super-sensitive hearing you develop after having a kid. . . somehow, I managed to complete all of my necessary tasks. Whew, I start to think we're in the clear now.

Out into the waiting room we go where I get a few sideways glances because I'm sure everyone in the waiting room could hear me telling Jay "NO" repeatedly in the restroom. We make it to a chair, and I decide that Jay might like a little snack to help pass the time. I open the container of goldfish that I keep in the diaper bag, and I proceed to tell him to be careful not to spill. Not two seconds after those words leave my mouth, my hand slips and the container flies across the floor of the waiting room and goldfish fly everywhere. So, now I'm dashing around trying to pick up all these little yellow fish before Jay grabs them and puts them into his mouth. It was a race that I could not lose - - it was very, very close, but I did win, thankfully! I notice the people staring again.

We were lucky enough to be called back a few minutes later and I walked across that waiting room holding my head high. The rest of our visit went on without major incident and we made it home before 5. It was actually record time for getting in and out of the doctor's office. We make it into the house and Jay runs back to his bedroom and slams the door. He thinks it's funny and I just stand there shaking my head. I suppose this is how God prepares us for teenagers. . .

No comments: